Because I cook for myself I have to be a fan of leftovers. It’s often hard to cook in single portions and eating leftovers saves so much time during a busy week. I enjoy cooking so I don’t always make enough of a whole meal to have as leftovers. I just make enough of one ingredient. So this recipe is what I call an “ingredient remix.”
I thawed a whole bag of shrimp I took half for shrimp and grits and half for ceviche. I prepped this while making the shrimp and grits. It took little effort and I stuck it in the fridge until dinner the next day. The chips were also easy. They were so good I will never go back to low carb processed chips.
- 1lb shrimp (about 8 peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 4 limes (juiced)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- salt, pepper, tajin to taste
- 2 low carb protein wraps (or any low carb wrap)
- Peel, devein, and dice the shrimp into even pieces. Cut down the middle where the vein is first for even chunks.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper, Tajin (optional) to taste.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 large lemon and four limes over the shrimp.
- Chop onions, avocado. tomato, and cilantro into even size chunks and add to the bowl.
- Stir everything together, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Fresh fish can be done in a couple of hours but I still leave it to “cook” overnight. It is done with the shrimp (or fish) is completely white.
- When ceviche is ready to eat, stack the wraps and using a pizza cutter, cut into triangles starting with four. You can use a knife if you need to. I prefer a pizza cutter because it is quicker. The triangles don’t have to be even–I actually prefer them to be of different sizes.
- Lower wrap pieces into hot vegetable oil (medium temp.) Be careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Flip when you see the edges turn golden brown. This will take around a minute if your oil is the right temp so stay close.
- When chips are golden brown on both sides, remove from oil and put on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Salt while hot. These also make a great snack on their own.
- Plate the chips on one half of a bowl and the ceviche on the other. Use the chips to scoop the ceviche to save on dishes.