Once you realize you can make a keto version of almost anything, the keto life becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet. Living keto has been perfect for someone like me who grew up cooking. I enjoy making new dishes, trying new things, looking for ways to make keto versions of my favorite meals. But I understand having to cook is the last thing some people want to do. This is a recipe just for you.
BREAD. We are having bread on keto. And it will take just 90 seconds in your microwave. Save money on the store bought low carb breads and make mug bread instead. If you’ve been following recipes on my blog or on keto for any length of time, you have the ingredients for mug bread in the pantry.
Now, the best part of this recipe is the blueberry jam. It’s easy and takes no time at all either. Depending on how sweet your berries are you don’t even need sweetener. If you don’t have xanthan gum you can use 1 tsp of ground chia seeds. Store it in a jar in the fridge and you’re good to go. You can use this recipe with other fruit as well. So, when you have berries that you can’t use, freeze them in a freezer bag and make jam.
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or 1 tsp ground chia seeds
- pinch of salt (optional)
- sugar free sweetener (optional)
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp butter (solid)
- Put blueberries, lemon juice, water, and sweetener (optional) and bring to a boil. You can add salt here or the rest of the lemon juiced.
- Boil the until it thickens then reduce to simmer.
- Add xanthan gum or chia seeds to thicken,
- Put in jar and refrigerate until chilled and thickened.
- Put almond flour, baking powder, egg, melted butter, and salt in a coffee mug.
- Stir together until the liquid batter forms.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and let the mug cool before handling.
- Dump the bread out of the mug and slice.
- Add butter to a skillet and melt.
- Toast mug bread until golden brown and remove from pan.
- Spread cream cheese on each slice.
- Top with chilled blueberry jam.