Baking for keto has been one of my favorite quarantine challenges. In general, I was not the best baker and then adding keto into the mix made learning how to be a better baker quite the accomplishment. For me, cooking is about the feel and look of things. Baking is about precision. This recipe is the first keto bake I feel like I nailed and can adjust to make it more of my own.
Baking with keto-friendly flours requires understanding how they perform. For example, almond flour carries moisture. Coconut flour absorbs it. I’ve been working on keto cupcakes and muffins and found that I may need combination of both to get the right texture. This recipe was the first time I did a keto bake using only coconut flour and it’s on point. These biscuits are perfect as they are so similar to the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits and legit take no time to whip up. They are flavorful and addicting.
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 medium eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin tin with non stick spray. I used a 12 count silicone try without muffin liners. Set aside.
- Combine cooled melted butter eggs, salt, and sour cream, then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to the mixture and whisk until combined. The batter will begin to thicken which is normal.
- Stir in cheese.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Mine ended up taking around 25 minutes to achieve the right color.
- Serve along side a friend chicken dinner or with eggs and bacon for breakfast.