Three words: Fresh. Filling. Fun. The perfect meal on a hot summer day. It was over 90 degrees today and I left the house to run errands just having black tea for breakfast. I fast pretty regularly, so that wasn’t unusual. I didn’t plan on being out long. You would think after all these months on lock down I’d remember that a quick trip to the grocery store no longer exists. Before I knew it, it was hours later and I was starving on my way home. Because it was so hot, I wanted something light and but filling.
Berries are the keto gift that keeps on giving. Low in carbs, I have them on hand year round. I keep frozen berries in the freezer and since they are in season, they are super affordable to get fresh. One of my favorite salads I would get on my way to Boston for work was the Wendy’s strawberry salad. I don’t know what it’s called exactly but it had strawberries on it and a fruity vinaigrette. I would get it with grilled chicken and be full without feeling heavy. So the Summer Salad is a cousin of that.
This is almost like a Cobb salad in the way it has so many ingredients. If you are usually keto you will have most of these on hand. Avocados, bacon, nuts, strawberries, blueberries, lettuce, and chicken. I added goat cheese and blueberry vinaigrette for a nice sweet tang. Salad as a meal isn’t so bad if you can have this every time.
- 2 cups spinach/arugula mix (or any lettuce you prefer)
- 1/2 medium avocado (diced)
- 4-5 medium strawberries (sliced)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 2 strips bacon (cooked)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (blueberry flavor optional)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (sliced in half optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp Sazondor (garlic/onion powder herb mix)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Slice chicken breast in half so you have two thin slices. This makes it easier and faster to grill. You can add both pieces to the salad but I saved mine for another recipe.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and add olive oil, Italian seasoning, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, salt, pepper, Sazondor, paprika and lemon juice. Stir to coat with all seasonings.
- Put the chicken on the grill and cook on one side until the edges on the top are white with a small pink center. Flip and grill on the other side for up to two minutes. Remove from heat to rest.
- Cook the bacon to desired doneness. Remove from grill/pan and place on napkin to absorb extra oil.
- Slice the strawberries and avocado.
- Put lettuce in a bowl and add strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, avocado and bacon.
- Slice the chicken against the grain and add to the salad.
- Top with goat cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.