Steak fajitas can still be had on keto. Use this recipe as an inspiration and put it on a low carb tortilla. I wanted to do a fajita bowl so I could have more veggies.
This recipe is an ingredient remix. I added a quarter cup of lime juice to leftover marinade I made for sirloin the other day, I had the bell peppers and frozen riced cauliflowe on hand. A quick trip to Aldi and I had everything I needed to make this easy high protein dinner.
- 2 marinated skirt steaks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 cup riced cauliflower (this uses frozen)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill marinated steak to desired doneness. I used a grill plate and I cooked my steak until it was medium (about 2 minutes each side on high.) Remember to make sure the grill is hot before putting the steaks on.
- Remove from heat and let the steaks rest.
- While steaks are resting, slice cored peppers and onions with a mandolin. If you don’t have a mandolin you can use a knife. Then put a mandolin on your grocery list and thank me later.
- Grill sliced peppers and onions until soft and onions are slightly caramelized. You can add a tablespoon of oil or butter before grilling and light salt while on the grill to taste. Turn off heat.
- If cooking for one, slice one steak against the grain and save the other for another recipe (I ended up making a southwest steak scramble for breakfast the next day.)
- Mix sliced steak and grilled peppers and onions in a bowl.
- Cook cauliflower rice as instructed on the bag. You can rice fresh cauliflower as well, but I prefer frozen cauliflower rice for a quick almost instant rice vibe.
- Mix the olive oil and juice of half the lime and pour on cooled riced cauliflower.
- Mince the cilantro and sprinkle on the cauliflower. Add salt and pepper to taste before mixing,
- Plate the cauliflower rice and put the steak, onions and pepper on top. Squeeze the other half of lime juice on top and garnish with cilantro or other toppings like guacamole.